Project 100 Bee Happy – AUS/NZ Rotary 100 years Centennial April 2021
Essendon, 9800, Victoria, Australia
Keywords: Biodiversity, Pollination
Installation of 100 Bee Hive boxes in the Moonee Valley region over the next 3-4 years to improve pollination in the area and celebrate Rotary Australia and New Zealand centennial 100 years event.
Meetings have been held with the Strathmore Men’s Shed, Moonee Valley Council, East Keilor Rotary club and Bendigo Bank. The following progress is under way:
- Strathmore Mens Shed will fabricate the Bee-Hive boxes and materials and methodology are in progress.
- It is proposed to fabricate 10 Bee Hive boxes before April and then organise media release of Project Bee Happy with the AUSNZ Rotary 100 year centennial celebration and pollination benefits to the Moonee Valley area. This will be a 3-4 year project to complete the overall 100 Bee Hive boxes.
- Installation location of the Bee Hive boxes will be Moonee Valley building, other appropriate facilities and Rotarian homes.
- Three local beekeepers will support all the installed Bee Hives as well as assist the Moonee Valley council with reported Bee Swarms concerns by residents. Arrangements will be made with the local beekeepers for share of the honey produced and surplus honey will be sold at local Moonee Valley markets as a fundraiser.
- Bee Hive Keeping Training will be organised for interested parties.
Funding of fabrication of Bee Hive boxes and training is to be arranged from the Moonee Valley Environmental Sustainability grants, Bendigo Bank donations and Essendon/East Keilor Rotary clubs. Other clubs in the area (ie Flemington, Brunswick etc) may also wish to join the project
Andrew Panjkov – ES champion – 0405 124 287 (a member of ESRAG)
Michael Portelli – Youth Committee Director – 0400 986 833
David Abbey – President – 0418 579 734 (a member of ESRAG)